What was the Great Depression? This anthology from the Literature & Thought series contains literature that challenges the reader, promotes critical thinking, and encourages independent exploration of themes and issues related to the Great Depression.
PrologueBrother, Can You Spare a Dime? Yip Harburg
Creating ContextAmerica on Easy Street • Concept Vocabulary
Cluster One: How Were People Affected?
Thinking Skill: Evaluating
- The Song (oral history)
- General Douglas MacArthur Fires on Americans (article)
- A One-Woman Crime Wave (short story)
- King of the Hoboes, Arvel Pearson (oral history)
- Just Hanging On (article)
Cluster Two: What Was the New Deal?
Thinking Skill: Summarizing
- Americans Get a “New Deal” (article)
- Built to Last (article)
- Brother, Can You Spare a Dream? (short story)
- I Want You to Write to Me (article)
- Letters to the Roosevelts (letters)
- Voices of Discontent (article)
Cluster Three: How Tough Were the Times?
Thinking Skill: Analyzing
- Digging In (memoir)
- The Lesson (short story)
- Black Sunday (oral history)
- Debts (poem)
- Migrant Mother (essay)
Cluster Four: Thinking on Your Own
Thinking Skill: Synthesizing
- Depression Days (poem)
- The Good Provider (short story)
- Upon the Waters (short story)
- A Touch of Rue (oral history)