Registration is now open for Great Books Chicago 2020—Exploring Beauty We will discuss the nature of beauty, the many forms it takes, and how notions of beauty change over time. We will look at, consider, and discuss natural beauty; personal beauty; and beauty in fine art, architecture, and mathematics. Readings include*:
- Death In Venice by Thomas Mann
- The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
- “The Beauties” by Anton Chekhov
- “An Essay in Aesthetics” by Roger Fry
- Selected poems, including "My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun" by William Shakespeare, "Euclid alone has looked on beauty bare" by Edna St. Vincent Millay, "On Beauty" by Kahlil Gibran, and "Appalachian Elegy" (sections 1–6) by bell hooks
Saturday evening outing options include (please select one when you register):
- As You Like It, Chicago Shakespeare Theater, 7:30 p.m. (limited availability, so act fast!)
- The Taming of the Shrew, Chicago Shakespeare Theater, 7:30 p.m.
- 75-Minute jazz set at Winter’s Jazz Club, VIP seats plus two free drinks, 7:30 p.m.
- Chicago Architecture Foundation Center River Cruise aboard Chicago’s First Lady, 5:30 p.m.
The registration fee includes:
- Welcome reception with beer, wine, and hors d’oeuvres at the American Writer’s Museum
- All readings to be discussed at the event (readings will be shipped to you by November 30, 2019, or approximately one week after you register)
- Tickets to the Saturday evening outing of your choice
- Snacks, coffee, and refreshments, as well as continental breakfast on Saturday and Sunday
- Two speakers on different aspects of the theme
Registration is limited to 60 participants, so we encourage early registration. Your registration fee does not include hotel accommodations. Please call 1-312-332-5870 to register if you reside outside the United States.
If you need to cancel your registration, please do so before 5 p.m. on March 23, 2020, and we’ll refund $300 of your registration fee. Cancellations after that time/date are not eligible for refunds.
One more detail! Join your discussion leaders and fellow discussion participants for a delicious three-course lunch on Saturday, May 2, at 1:30 p.m. at Ocean Prime. Lunch is not included in the registration fee. Please register here.