The Junior Great Books Virtual Academy™ offers an enjoyable way for students to strengthen their skills in critical thinking, reading comprehension, speaking and listening, and writing. By combining interactive reading activities with student-centered discussions, this program helps students develop ideas, use and explain evidence, and respond constructively to their peers. Students will be reading and discussing texts from the Junior Great Books® Nonfiction Inquiry series, including topics in science, social studies, and STEM. Expert Great Books discussion leaders will guide students to think deeply about big ideas while having fun.
Shared Inquiry™ activities in which students engage include:
- Building context for deeper exploration
- Close reading and analysis of texts
- Sharing and comparing responses
- Making and explaining inferences about texts
- Citing evidence and explaining how it supports an answer
- Responding to other students’ ideas
- Considering how discussion changed or expanded their initial ideas about the text
Each session is 60 minutes in length. All materials are included in the program price and will be emailed when registration is confirmed. The program requires students to complete some work before each session, and the discussion leaders will provide full instructions. We recommend that each student log in on their own device with enabled video, a headset or earbuds, and a microphone for the best audio connection. There are a limited number of spaces available!