The Junior Great Books Virtual Academy for grades 6–8 combines thought-provoking works from a variety of genres with interactive, student-centered online discussions to build each student's capacity to analyze challenging material, use and explain evidence, and respond to others constructively. Each JGB Discovery series centers on an essential concept, equipping students to consider it from multiple points of view and develop their own understanding of it. Students who participate in our collaborative online sessions will be thinking critically about big ideas while having fun.
Throughout the program, students will engage in Shared Inquiry activities which include:
- Building context for deeper exploration
- Close reading and analysis of works from a variety of genres
- Sharing and comparing responses
- Making and explaining inferences about a text or artwork
- Citing evidence and explaining how it supports an answer
- Responding to other students’ ideas
- Considering how discussion changed or expanded their initial ideas about the work
Each session is 60 minutes in length. All materials are included in the program price, and will be emailed when registration is confirmed. The program requires students to complete some work before each session, and instructors will give full instructions to students. We recommend that each student log in on their own device with enabled video, a headset or earbuds, and a microphone for the best audio connection. There are a limited number of spaces available!
This session will meet once per week for 4 weeks.
June 08, 2020, 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM (Central Time)
June 15, 2020, 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM (Central Time)
June 22, 2020, 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM (Central Time)
June 29, 2020, 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM (Central Time)