The selections in Imperfect Ideal: Utopian and Dystopian Visions
illustrate the best and worst of what can happen when we attempt to mold the complex communities in which we live into our vision of a perfect state. All 23 selections in this anthology challenge readers to question how society should be structured and governed, as well as what kinds of communities are most conducive to human fulfillment, both privately and in the civic arena.
To complement Imperfect Ideal,
we have developed discussion guides for the following seven utopian and dystopian novels and films. These free discussion guides are downloadable
from our web site.
- The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
- 1984 by George Orwell
- Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
- The Republic by Plato
- Alphaville directed by Jean-Luc Godard
- Blade Runner directed by Ridley Scott
- Metropolis directed by Fritz Lang